[imp] Error when searching other user's mailbox

Michael M Slusarz slusarz at horde.org
Tue Feb 26 19:34:54 UTC 2013

Quoting Jens Grüntjes <jens.gruentjes at ebira.de>:

> Okay, but on the other hand the user does not know which folder
> causes the search to fail leaving him to pick out the folders to
> search one by one. Would it be possible to raise an error that is a
> little more helpful than "Error when communicating with the
> server."? Something like "your search could not be performed due to
> access restrictions to your search folders"?

Sort of.  The IMAP server would have to return the "NOPERM" response
code when trying to open the mailbox.  But most don't (the NOPERM
response code is fairly new).  Without it, there is no way of knowing
*why* the mailbox could not be opened.

It looks like your IMAP server doesn't return this information or else
you should have seen the error message "You do not have adequate
permissions to carry out this operation." instead.

>> You are looking for an option to "search all subfolders that I have
>> access to".  But that is getting *very* specific and advanced -
>> most users should not be given this option or else it will confuse
>> them.  And adding an "advanced" search mode sounds like a feature
>> that would need to be sponsored to be implemented.
> Okay, that seems a little bit too much to implement.

Especially in light of...

>> The appropriate way of searching would be to search individually
>> the mailboxes they have access to.  Or better yet: remove the 'l'
>> ACL right for that user.
> Thanks, that was indeed the easiest way.

michael