[imp] 6.1.0-git

Simon B simon.buongiorno at gmail.com
Fri May 17 21:07:19 UTC 2013

On 17 May 2013 23:03, "Simon B" <simon.buongiorno at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 17 May 2013 22:51, "Michael M Slusarz" <slusarz at horde.org> wrote:
> >
> > Quoting Simon B <simon.buongiorno at gmail.com>:

> >> Interesting - the old way was of course much easier to configure :)
> >

> > I would disagree.  Previously, you may have had to configure in BOTH
conf.php and in a hook, depending on the backend.  That is a confusing
configuration design.  Now all configuration takes place in a single
location.

> > Just because it is less familiar doesn't mean it is not easy.
> >

> >> Innocent reporting is a little trickier.  How does one move it back to
> >> the Inbox?  From the docs, I have:
> >

> > Post-spam actions are a user-defined activity, so this is configured in
the preferences ('move_innocent_after_report').

IMP

> >> How does that work if you install via pear?
> >

> > You could have cloned your installation.  Or installed to a different
PEAR directory.

Oh, and I had a separate pear install - despite the install docs warning
that it's not recommended even if you do provide instructions for it - for
stage, and upgrading was a nightmare, which is why I moved to git.

Simon

> > These days, it really isn't the (potentially time-consuming)
responsibility of a software project anymore to support these kind of
"multiple-setups on a single machine", at least software projects that
don't have vast resources.  VMs are so ubiquitous, cheap, and easy to setup
and they accomplish precisely this.

> Maybe not, but a downgrade path would be nice.  If, I discover a bug, in
apache or OpenOffice, I simple purge and reinstall (and by and large) my
settings and preferences remain intact.

> You're saying, I have to create a virtual machine every time a new
version comes out (sorry, but I can only afford a 2gb/500gb/€50pm box, as
much as I would love a 32gb/1tb box).  And how does the database work?

> If there's a schema change from 6.0 to 6.1 (which there was), how do I
move the delta data back to 6.0?  To my knowledge, there's no button in the
interface to downgrade a db schema...