[imp] 6.1.0-git

Andy Dorman adorman at ironicdesign.com
Sat May 18 02:54:07 UTC 2013

On 05/17/2013 04:07 PM, Simon B wrote:
> On 17 May 2013 23:03, "Simon B"<simon.buongiorno at gmail.com>  wrote:

> has

> be

> changes.

> servers
> 102%
> both of

> some

> conf.php,

>>> I would disagree.  Previously, you may have had to configure in BOTH
> conf.php and in a hook, depending on the backend.  That is a confusing
> configuration design.  Now all configuration takes place in a single
> location.
>>>
>>> Just because it is less familiar doesn't mean it is not easy.

>>> Post-spam actions are a user-defined activity, so this is configured in
> the preferences ('move_innocent_after_report').

> IMP

>>> You could have cloned your installation.  Or installed to a different
> PEAR directory.
>
> Oh, and I had a separate pear install - despite the install docs warning
> that it's not recommended even if you do provide instructions for it - for
> stage, and upgrading was a nightmare, which is why I moved to git.
>
> Simon
>
>>> These days, it really isn't the (potentially time-consuming)
> responsibility of a software project anymore to support these kind of
> "multiple-setups on a single machine", at least software projects that
> don't have vast resources.  VMs are so ubiquitous, cheap, and easy to setup
> and they accomplish precisely this.
>>
>> Maybe not, but a downgrade path would be nice.  If, I discover a bug, in
> apache or OpenOffice, I simple purge and reinstall (and by and large) my
> settings and preferences remain intact.
>>
>> You're saying, I have to create a virtual machine every time a new
> version comes out (sorry, but I can only afford a 2gb/500gb/€50pm box, as
> much as I would love a 32gb/1tb box).  And how does the database work?
>>
>> If there's a schema change from 6.0 to 6.1 (which there was), how do I
> move the delta data back to 6.0?  To my knowledge, there's no button in the
> interface to downgrade a db schema...
>>
>> Simon

Simon, give it a rest.  If you need a button to back out a release then
you are in the wrong profession.

To avoid surprises like you have apparently received here is what you
should do in the future.

1. Pay $20/mo for a VM slice at Linode or your favorite VM provider
2. Configure an "alpha/beta" test server on this slice exactly like your
production server(s).
3. Point an MX for test.mydomain.com at it with email accounts for all
your staff (and sign up for a bunch of newsletters with those test
addresses to generate lots of traffic)
4. Import and test new releases on your alpha/beta test server BEFORE
pushing it to production.

Yeah, the little VM slice will be underpowered ($20/mo at Linode gets
you 1GB RAM), but that is what you want in a test machine...

And if there is a problem with a release, no big deal...all that is
affected will be your test site...just figure out the new config or send
a suggested patch or report how to reproduce a bug reliably and let the
developers fix it for you.  And if a project takes a direction you don't
like, with Open Source you always have the option of using a good VCS
like Git to develop and maintain your own local changes and just merge
in upstream changes in all other areas.

--
Andy Dorman