[imp] Spam Button

Michael M Slusarz slusarz at horde.org
Fri May 24 13:22:23 UTC 2013

Quoting Andy Dorman <adorman at ironicdesign.com>:

> Simon, PHP is not my primary language, so I like to say "my skills
> are always improving".  I think I understand your confusion and what
> is going on because I made the same mistake just a few days ago when
> I added our backends.local.php.
>
> Setting array variables like below in backends.local.php redefines
> an array and wipes out anything set in backends.php for that same
> array.
>
> $servers['advanced'] = array(
> // Disabled by default
> 'disabled' => false,
> 'name' => 'Advanced IMAP Server',
> 'hostspec' => 'localhost',
> 'hordeauth' => 'full',
>
> However, if you set specific values in the array like this in
> backends.local.php
>
> $servers['imap']['disabled'] = true;
>
> Then you leave the $servers['imap'] array as defined in backends.php
> intact and only add/overwrite the single value for the 'disabled'
> key in the $servers['imap'] array.
>
> Having said all that, what is happening is you have not disabled the
> default $servers['imap'] config in backends.local.php yet, so IMP is
> using that instead of your $servers['advanced'] config values.

Any advice on how to improve configuration documentation would be great.

FYI: you absolutely don't want to copy backends.php to
backends.local.php and use the default entries as-is because this
prevents any configuration changes in future versions from being
properly propagated.  You want to only overwrite those specific
configuration options that are altered from the defaults.

Conversely, you can define a local backends config entry and not have
to worry about this (although you will have to keep an eye on
docs/UPGRADING and manually add any new/changed configuration options).

michael