[imp] Spam Button

Simon B simon.buongiorno at gmail.com
Fri May 24 15:20:24 UTC 2013

On 24 May 2013 15:22, Michael M Slusarz <slusarz at horde.org> wrote:
> Quoting Andy Dorman <adorman at ironicdesign.com>:
>
>> Simon, PHP is not my primary language, so I like to say "my skills are
>> always improving".  I think I understand your confusion and what is going on
>> because I made the same mistake just a few days ago when I added our
>> backends.local.php.
>>
>> Setting array variables like below in backends.local.php redefines an
>> array and wipes out anything set in backends.php for that same array.
>>
>> $servers['advanced'] = array(
>> // Disabled by default
>> 'disabled' => false,
>> 'name' => 'Advanced IMAP Server',
>> 'hostspec' => 'localhost',
>> 'hordeauth' => 'full',
>>
>> However, if you set specific values in the array like this in
>> backends.local.php
>>
>> $servers['imap']['disabled'] = true;
>>
>> Then you leave the $servers['imap'] array as defined in backends.php
>> intact and only add/overwrite the single value for the 'disabled' key in the
>> $servers['imap'] array.
>>
>> Having said all that, what is happening is you have not disabled the
>> default $servers['imap'] config in backends.local.php yet, so IMP is using
>> that instead of your $servers['advanced'] config values.

Okay, I think I got that now.  I will uncomment backends.php and add
this to backends.local.php

> Any advice on how to improve configuration documentation would be great.

I would love to - however, at the moment with every release I feel
less and capable of explaining the configuration.  I would have made
it so that .local.php values always supercede defaults, but doubless
I'll get used to it.  Rest assured when I think I can contribute to
documentation - I will!

> FYI: you absolutely don't want to copy backends.php to backends.local.php
> and use the default entries as-is because this prevents any configuration
> changes in future versions from being properly propagated.  You want to only
> overwrite those specific configuration options that are altered from the
> defaults.

Gah, that's a lot of editing I'll have to do now.  I will try it -
maybe it will help with the point above.

> Conversely, you can define a local backends config entry and not have to
> worry about this (although you will have to keep an eye on docs/UPGRADING
> and manually add any new/changed configuration options).

See, that's counter intuitive to me (but's probably just me).

Thanks Arjen, Michael and Andy.

Simon