[imp] Message list shows invalid address and no subject for most messages

Michael M Slusarz slusarz at horde.org
Sun May 26 17:49:23 UTC 2013

Quoting Edward Burr <egburr at burr.cc>:

> Hello,
>
> I'm using Horde groupware 5.0.4 (upgraded from v4 a couple months
> ago) with IMP H5 6.0.4. Occasionally I run into this problem where
> my mail message list shows a few items okay, but then at some point
> in the list, switches to showing all the rest as "Invalid address"
> and "[No Subject]" all with a timestamp of the time the whole page
> was last reloaded. I can open those mails, and they display fine.
> The only problem is that I can't see the sender/subject in the
> message listing. Eventually, it clears up, but I can't figure out
> any way to force it to clear up.
>
> I have searched the horde mailing list archives, but the only thing
> I can find about this is a suggestion to switch my imap server from
> UW to dovecot; well, I'm already using dovecot and have been for
> years, and it is up-to-date.
>
> I first noticed this yesterday when I was working on cleaning out my
> mailbox. I would do a search, and sometimes the search results would
> show this behavior. All I had to do was repeat the search, and it
> would be fine then. I whittled my inbox down from 12000 messages to
> under 6000, cleaning up years of neglect. Today I wanted to continue
> the task, but now my inbox is showing only the first 20 messages
> properly, and all the rest are "invalid address" and "no subject",
> and nothing I've done has affected that.
>
> I have logged out and back in to horde. I have stopped the apache
> server, removed all the /tmp/cache* files that get created when I
> login to horde, and restart the server. I have cleared my browser
> cache. I have closed/restarted my browser. Nothing has helped.
>
> If I load my mail using a different browser (IE instead of chrome)
> the message listing displays properly, but then when I go back to
> chrome the problem remains.

If this is a browser specific issue, then it is almost certainly a
javascript error on Chrome.  Possibly Chrome is not handling certain
data from a message that other browsers can handle.

Check the javascript console for issues.  Or if you can isolate a
message causing the problem and are willing to provide the message
source, we can take a look.  (You can try upgrading to the latest
version of IMP also - although off the top of my head I don't remember
fixing anything like this in the last month.  And 6.0.5 is currently
git only)

michael