[imp] Which "trash" should we use?

Maxime Pelletier maxime.pelletier at educsa.org
Wed Jun 12 15:53:25 UTC 2013

   Hi all,

   In the process of configuring our server, we had to think about how
to handle deleted messages. Basically, we found 4 ways:

   1. Move deleted messages to a given IMAP folder (usually called "trash")

   2. Mark messages as deleted but leave them in their folder

   3. Move deleted messages to "Virtual trash"

   4. Delete message permenantly

   Obviously, #4 is rarely a good option.

   However, I searched the web and I couldn't find any advice to know
which one I should use as the default setting, or even which one I
should force/lock. The most interesting page I found was
http://deflexion.com/2006/05/imap-way-of-deleting-message .

   I understand what is the difference between #1 and #2, but I don't
know which one is the best alternative.

   Also, could you explain me the difference between #2 and #3? To
configure Horde as per #2, I don't check the option saying to move
deleted messages to a given folder. And for #3, I check the same
option, but instead of selecting an IMAP folder(which would then be
#1), I select "Virtual trash" from the drop down list. What I like
about #3 is that it adds a shortcut to virtual trash in the top
section of the left sidebar, in the same section of Inbox and Sent.

   One of my biggest concern with that setting is the compatibility
with other mail clients (phones, tablets, Thunderbird, other webmail,
...). I prefer to configure my server the same way most of them are
configured.

   Thanks in advance if anyone can help me out with that

   Maxime