[imp] Which "trash" should we use?

Arjen de Korte arjen+horde at de-korte.org
Wed Jun 12 17:34:30 UTC 2013

Citeren Maxime Pelletier <maxime.pelletier at educsa.org>:

> Hi all,
>
>   In the process of configuring our server, we had to think about
> how to handle deleted messages. Basically, we found 4 ways:
>
>   1. Move deleted messages to a given IMAP folder (usually called "trash")
>
>   2. Mark messages as deleted but leave them in their folder
>
>   3. Move deleted messages to "Virtual trash"
>
>   4. Delete message permenantly
>
>   Obviously, #4 is rarely a good option.
>
>   However, I searched the web and I couldn't find any advice to know
> which one I should use as the default setting, or even which one I
> should force/lock. The most interesting page I found was
> http://deflexion.com/2006/05/imap-way-of-deleting-message .
>
>   I understand what is the difference between #1 and #2, but I don't
> know which one is the best alternative.
>
>   Also, could you explain me the difference between #2 and #3? To
> configure Horde as per #2, I don't check the option saying to move
> deleted messages to a given folder. And for #3, I check the same
> option, but instead of selecting an IMAP folder(which would then be
> #1), I select "Virtual trash" from the drop down list. What I like
> about #3 is that it adds a shortcut to virtual trash in the top
> section of the left sidebar, in the same section of Inbox and Sent.
>
>   One of my biggest concern with that setting is the compatibility
> with other mail clients (phones, tablets, Thunderbird, other
> webmail, ...). I prefer to configure my server the same way most of
> them are configured.
>
>   Thanks in advance if anyone can help me out with that

If you want to use ActiveSync, probably the only option is to use #1,
since that's what is expected in the protocol. If not, it's a matter
of taste and mostly depends on which clients your users are using
right now. If you happen to use strict IMAP quota's, #2 & #3 might be
preferred (since it won't require 'extra' space for deleted messages).