[imp] Which "trash" should we use?

Michael Menge michael.menge at zdv.uni-tuebingen.de
Thu Jun 13 12:43:52 UTC 2013

> Quoting Arjen de Korte <arjen+horde at de-korte.org>:
>
>> Citeren Maxime Pelletier <maxime.pelletier at educsa.org>:
>>
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> In the process of configuring our server, we had to think about
>>> how to handle deleted messages. Basically, we found 4 ways:
>>>
>>> 1. Move deleted messages to a given IMAP folder (usually called "trash")
>>>
>>> 2. Mark messages as deleted but leave them in their folder
>>>
>>> 3. Move deleted messages to "Virtual trash"
>>>
>>> 4. Delete message permenantly
>>>
>>> Obviously, #4 is rarely a good option.
>>>
>>> However, I searched the web and I couldn't find any advice to know
>>> which one I should use as the default setting, or even which one I
>>> should force/lock. The most interesting page I found was
>>> http://deflexion.com/2006/05/imap-way-of-deleting-message .
>>>
>>> I understand what is the difference between #1 and #2, but I don't
>>> know which one is the best alternative.
>>>
>>> Also, could you explain me the difference between #2 and #3? To
>>> configure Horde as per #2, I don't check the option saying to move
>>> deleted messages to a given folder. And for #3, I check the same
>>> option, but instead of selecting an IMAP folder(which would then
>>> be #1), I select "Virtual trash" from the drop down list. What I
>>> like about #3 is that it adds a shortcut to virtual trash in the
>>> top section of the left sidebar, in the same section of Inbox and
>>> Sent.
>>>
>>> One of my biggest concern with that setting is the compatibility
>>> with other mail clients (phones, tablets, Thunderbird, other
>>> webmail, ...). I prefer to configure my server the same way most
>>> of them are configured.
>>>
>>> Thanks in advance if anyone can help me out with that
>>
>> If you want to use ActiveSync, probably the only option is to use
>> #1, since that's what is expected in the protocol. If not, it's a
>> matter of taste and mostly depends on which clients your users are
>> using right now. If you happen to use strict IMAP quota's, #2 & #3
>> might be preferred (since it won't require 'extra' space for
>> deleted messages).
>
> The latter is no longer an issue if using an IMAP server that
> supports the new MOVE command.
>
> michael

As for the difference between #2 & #3:

with the virtual trash folter option the mails are marked as deleted as
in #2, but horde does not show them in the original folder. The Virtual
trash folder is a search of all "marked as deleted" mails.
For other clients it looks like #2.

michael

M.Menge                                Tel.: (49) 7071/29-70316
Universität Tübingen                   Fax.: (49) 7071/29-5912
Zentrum für Datenverarbeitung          mail:
michael.menge at zdv.uni-tuebingen.de
Wächterstraße 76
72074 Tübingen