[imp] Which "trash" should we use?

maxcsa maxime.pelletier at educsa.org
Thu Jun 13 13:19:16 UTC 2013

Arjen de Korte-5 wrote
> Citeren Maxime Pelletier <

> maxime.pelletier@

> >:> Hi all,>>   In the process of configuring our server, we had to
> think about  > how to handle deleted messages. Basically, we found 4
> ways:>>   1. Move deleted messages to a given IMAP folder (usually called
> "trash")>>   2. Mark messages as deleted but leave them in their folder>>
> 3. Move deleted messages to "Virtual trash">>   4. Delete message
> permenantly>>   Obviously, #4 is rarely a good option.>>   However, I
> searched the web and I couldn't find any advice to know  > which one I
> should use as the default setting, or even which one I  > should
> force/lock. The most interesting page I found was  >
> http://deflexion.com/2006/05/imap-way-of-deleting-message .>>   I
> understand what is the difference between #1 and #2, but I don't  > know
> which one is the best alternative.>>   Also, could you explain me the
> difference between #2 and #3? To  > configure Horde as per #2, I don't
> check the option saying to move  > deleted messages to a given folder. And
> for #3, I check the same  > option, but instead of selecting an IMAP
> folder(which would then be  > #1), I select "Virtual trash" from the drop
> down list. What I like  > about #3 is that it adds a shortcut to virtual
> trash in the top  > section of the left sidebar, in the same section of
> Inbox and Sent.>>   One of my biggest concern with that setting is the
> compatibility  > with other mail clients (phones, tablets, Thunderbird,
> other  > webmail, ...). I prefer to configure my server the same way most
> of  > them are configured.>>   Thanks in advance if anyone can help me out
> with thatIf you want to use ActiveSync, probably the only option is to use
> #1,  since that's what is expected in the protocol. If not, it's a matter
> of taste and mostly depends on which clients your users are using  right
> now. If you happen to use strict IMAP quota's, #2 & #3 might be  preferred
> (since it won't require 'extra' space for deleted messages).-- imp mailing
> listFrequently Asked Questions: http://wiki.horde.org/FAQTo unsubscribe,
> mail:

> imp-unsubscribe at .horde

> attachment0 (317 bytes)
> <http://horde.690.n7.nabble.com/attachment/111909/0/attachment0>

Hi,Thanks for your answer.If I get it right, I must use a "real" trash
folder if my users plan to use ActiveSync. Since our user currently use the
trash folder" technique? I would have to move message with deleted flag to
the trash folder for all my users. Do you know if such a script already
exist? Or could I create a login hook to fix that?Also, I'm curious to know
the difference between "mark as deleted" and "move to virtual trash folder"
(which were #2 and #3 in my original message).Thanks in advance!Maxime