[imp] RFC: handling of "no S/MIME key" situations

Jens-U. Mozdzen jmozdzen at nde.ag
Tue Jul 9 10:24:18 UTC 2013

Hi Michael,

Zitat von Michael M Slusarz <slusarz at horde.org>
> Quoting "Jens-U. Mozdzen" <jmozdzen at nde.ag>:
>
>> Unfortunately, not all recipients do actually have an encryption
>> key, thus I have none in my address book for them. When sending
>> e-mails to such recipients, I'm presented with an error message that
>> no S/MIME key is available and sending fails.
>>
>> I'm well aware that having no possibility to encrypt can (and
>> usually should) be an error and stop sending the e-mail, when
>> configured to "always encrypt". But from my work-flow point of view,
>> I'd prefer a pop-up (no cert, so no encryption - send anyway?),
>> because I have well more than one e-mail destination without cert.
>> Or a configuration option to downgrade that current error message to
>> warning level, reducing the "always encrypt" default to a synopsis
>> of "always encrypt, if you have a way to do so".
>>
>> As I oppose local program changes, I wanted to query the list and
>> the developers to see if such a change would be considered for
>> inclusion into mainline code at all.
>
> I would say no.  Modal popups are not appropriate for something like
> this, since it remains too easy to accidentally send without encrypting.

"Too easy" depends on the user. And the current implementation makes
it pretty hard for the user to encrypt if a key is available - that
decision has to be made for each and every mail sent. I'd like to turn
that around.

> Quite frankly. it really makes little sense to have a "Always Encrypt"
> option anyway.

Then you *support* my idea - since the current option is acting as
"always encrypt" :D

I don't mind the "always encrypt" (would keep it, in case it makes
someone happy), but would like to see a way to configure "encrypt if a
key is at hand". The modal pop-up was just a compromise so that you'd
not sent an unencrypted email without manual confirmation. Most users
would object that anyhow, since that message would pop up for almost
any mail for the average participant.

Regards,
Jens