[imp] High priority mail

Michael M Slusarz slusarz at horde.org
Wed Aug 28 06:12:13 UTC 2013

Quoting ANANT S ATHAVALE <asa at isac.gov.in>:

> ----- Message from Michael M Slusarz <slusarz at horde.org> ---------
>    Date: Fri, 23 Aug 2013 12:23:31 -0600
>    From: Michael M Slusarz <slusarz at horde.org>
> Subject: Re: [imp] High priority mail
>      To: imp at lists.horde.org
>
>> Quoting Oscar del Rio <delrio at mie.utoronto.ca>:

> it
>>>
>>> I can't reproduce either. High Priority emails are highlighted pink
>>> immediately in my tests.
>>
>> It's entirely dependent on the order the IMAP server returns the IMAP
>> flags.
>>
>> The problem is that both 'unseen' and 'high priority' have the same CSS
>> importance.  CSS only allows a binary determination of what is
>> "important".  Thus, 2 or more rules with labeled important necessarily
>> need to overwrite each other in either a FIFO or LIFO manner.
>>
>> Writing code to get around this would be prohibitively expensive and not
>> worth it - especially since "priority" is not even a real, recognized
>> flag.
>>
>> michael

> flag.  It is just a header in Mail.

That's EXACTLY the point.  There is no RFC or standard for "priority".
  So it should be subservient to all other IMAP flags (including the
absence of the \seen flag).

  And also, I am able to see the '!'
> character getting listed with the mail. It means, IMP knows that, this is a
> high priority mail.

Of course.  The point being that the \seen status (more correctly, the
absence of the \Seen flag a/k/a unseen)  -- namely the seen row
coloring -- is preferred over the priority coloring.  This is by
design and makes sense from a UI perspective.  "Priority" is kind of
useless, especially since the vast majority of messages that set this
flag are Spam; compare this with "unseen", which is always 100%
accurate.

michael