[imp] Vertical Layout.

Simon B simon.buongiorno at gmail.com
Tue Sep 3 22:08:05 UTC 2013

On 3 Sep 2013 16:13, "Michael M Slusarz" <slusarz at horde.org> wrote:

> Quoting Simon B <simon.buongiorno at gmail.com>:
>
>> My point is how do you make vertical permanent?  Without losing it in an
>> upgrade please?
>

> You can't.  The vertical positioning is NOT an IMP preference though.  It
is a *browser-specific* setting.

I'm curious as to how you see this as a browser specific setting please?
Which browser does it affect, or is better suited to?

> I don't see any pressing need to allow this to be configurable anyway.
 The horizontal layout is the only setting that makes sense cross-browser.

I'm not a developer, so please explain.

I see this as user ui preference, like having your task bar up or down or
left.  Or your bookmarks bar displayed or not ( and no-one calls that an os
preference).

Thanks.

Simon

> You can always add some javascript as necessary via a hook to change
this.  But there is no guaranteee that javascript files are not going to
change across versions, so you still need to verify this everytime you
update.  This is no different than changing CSS or template files, FWIW.