[imp] Ability to send “Copy Protected” mail

Michael J Rubinsky mrubinsk at horde.org
Thu Sep 12 13:52:16 UTC 2013

Quoting Andy Dorman <adorman at ironicdesign.com>:

> On 09/12/2013 06:52 AM, Vikas Parashar wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> Since last some days, i am searching a web-clients for mail server. HOrde
>> is one of feature rich web-client that i found.
>>
>> Could any body please let me know how can i achieve
>>
>> Ability to send “Copy Protected” mail that cannot be forwarded, printed, or
>> cut/copy and paste.
>>
>> Looking fwd to hear from you soon.
>>

> An email is just a file, mostly text, with "special" bits like
> images, pdfs and zip files sent via smtp.  There is no way you can
> "stop" the recipient from doing anything they want with that file
> once they have it on their computer.
>
> You can encrypt part of the file (the email "body") to make it
> unreadable by anyone without the proper decryption tool (or a very
> fast quantum computer code breaker)...but once they have the file in
> their possession, you have NO control or say over what they can do
> with it.

The original poster may be referring to features such as Exchange's
Information Rights Management. This allows exactly this level of
control, but obviously only works within a controlled MS Exchange
environment. This type of feature, as already stated, is not going to
be available in a groupware stack built upon open standards such as
IMAP, SMTP etc...
--
mike

The Horde Project (www.horde.org)