[imp] very slow printing

Bernd Wolf bernd.wolf at csw-wolf.de
Mon Sep 16 05:53:56 UTC 2013

>> Zitat von Bernd Wolf <bernd.wolf at csw-wolf.de>:
>>
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> if I use the print-icon of mails, the process waits 10-40s before
>>> getting the choose-printer dialog.
>>>

>>> I'm using Horde Groupware Webmail Edition 5.1.2 on CentOS 6.2,
>>> installed at a local server, accessing Cyrus-Imap.
>>> Everything looks ok, no known problems.
>>>
>>> Other clients (Thunderbird) doesn't show any performance problems.
>>>
>>> If horde-server accesses local cyrus-imap, it's about 10-20s
>>> waiting - without any load, only a testsystem, 1 user.
>>>
>>> Tried with MS-Windows IE, but mostly using Firefox from linux desktop.
>>>
>>> What's to be seen:
>>> - download of email using the icon works very well
>>> - print of email using the print-icon: long waiting
>>> - checked network/server-load: server's cpu-load goes to 100%
>>> during wait, network traffic is at the beginning
>>>   and at the end very shortly
>>> - print from browser's STRG+P works very well, but not very nicely
>>> formatted
>>> - mail server load: no visible time to wait, no problems in logs
>>> or with performance
>>>

>>> Any idea about this?
>>>
>>> --
>>> Bernd
>>
>> A quick check at an xdebug profiling shows that all this extra time
>> is spent inside the Sabberworm CSS parser.
>
> FWIW, a complex HTML message pops up in about a second for me in
> print view.  So I'm not seeing anything out of the ordinary
> (certainly not 10-20 seconds of parsing).
>
> Which wouldn't make too much sense with the CSS parser, since nobody
> is reporting 40 seconds to compress CSS.
>
> And memory usage is not out-of-line either:
>
> 2013-09-11T13:02:38-06:00 DEBUG: HORDE [imp] Max memory usage:
> 7077888 bytes [pid 17869 on line 566 of
> "/disk2/src/horde/framework/Core/lib/Horde/Registry.php"]

I tried to configure DEBUG to get the memory-message you show, I
didn't get it.
Set the Horde-debug level (DEBUG), set PHP-Debuglevel, getting
messages, but nothing about the above memory-line.
Can you tell me how to get it?

To test the memory-influence I installed the whole system in vmware at
local workstation.
1GB RAM: about 6s to get the print dialog.
7GB RAM: about 6s.

6s is better then 10-20s, may be this is a result from a faster cpu?
(server: pentium D 3GHz, local machine: core2duo 2.6GHz)

Sounds like the used css-parser really needs highperformance cpu.
Then it may be a solution to change back to an older version?
I would try, if somebody gives me a few hints where to start...

bernd.