[imp] very slow printing

Michael M Slusarz slusarz at horde.org
Wed Sep 18 02:53:07 UTC 2013

Quoting Bernd Wolf <bernd.wolf at csw-wolf.de>:

> Zitat von Michael M Slusarz <slusarz at horde.org>:

>>> A quick check at an xdebug profiling shows that all this extra
>>> time is spent inside the Sabberworm CSS parser.
>>
>> FWIW, a complex HTML message pops up in about a second for me in
>> print view.  So I'm not seeing anything out of the ordinary
>> (certainly not 10-20 seconds of parsing).
>>
>> Which wouldn't make too much sense with the CSS parser, since
>> nobody is reporting 40 seconds to compress CSS.
>>
>> And memory usage is not out-of-line either:
>>
>> 2013-09-11T13:02:38-06:00 DEBUG: HORDE [imp] Max memory usage:
>> 7077888 bytes [pid 17869 on line 566 of
>> "/disk2/src/horde/framework/Core/lib/Horde/Registry.php"]
>>

> I tried to configure DEBUG to get the memory-message you show, I
> didn't get it.
> Set the Horde-debug level (DEBUG), set PHP-Debuglevel, getting
> messages, but nothing about the above memory-line.
> Can you tell me how to get it?

It appears automatically if 'DEBUG' log level is used.

> To test the memory-influence I installed the whole system in vmware
> at local workstation.
> 1GB RAM: about 6s to get the print dialog.
> 7GB RAM: about 6s.

As mentioned above - there is no issue with memory usage (all of Horde
init, message retrieval, CSS parsing, and message display is done in
*7 MB*, which is pretty darn impressive if you ask me), so throwing
more memory at the issue isn't going to speed anything up.

> 6s is better then 10-20s, may be this is a result from a faster cpu?
> (server: pentium D 3GHz, local machine: core2duo 2.6GHz)

Pentium D is pretty old - 8 years to be exact.  Although I don't have
a screaming system either (it's an 8-core Xeon, but it's a 6 year old
processor and each core is only 2GHz.  And PHP is single threaded, so
the multiple cores don't increase performance other than the fact that
any given core may be under no other load when doing a PHP process).

In other words - I don't see this as a critical performance
bottleneck.  And nobody has definitively proven it is (i.e. a PHP
profiler trace demonstrating that there is an appreciable slowdown).

> Sounds like the used css-parser really needs highperformance cpu.
> Then it may be a solution to change back to an older version?

Absolutely not.

michael