[imp] Address book icon in compose window

Michael M Slusarz slusarz at horde.org
Tue Nov 19 05:24:30 UTC 2013

Quoting Aria Bamdad <aria at bsc.gwu.edu>:

> Trying to move my users to IMP 6.1 and a repeated question we are getting is
> regarding the message compose window in DIMP and the lack of an icon for the
> 'Address Book'.  I know that  'To', 'cc' and  'bcc' is a clickable link that
> brings up the address book but frankly, the majority of our users are not
> seeing that.
>

> I have seen at least one enhancement request for an icon in this interface
> but it is marked as resolved.  My question:
>

> 1-Do others have this problem or is it just our users?

It's been this way for probably 6 years now.  To be honest, I can't
think of a single complaint before now.  Not saying it hasn't
happened, but nobody is clamoring for it.

I think the major issue is that nobody uses the addressbook anymore.
99% of the time you get the proper results from the autocompleter.  (I
couldn't tell you the last time I directly used the addressbook,
except when I was actually debugging the code).

> 2-Would it make sense to add a small icon next to the 'To', cc and bcc?

I don't think so.  Increasing the contrast of the link is probably a
good idea - right now the "blue-gray" of the link is way too close to
the gray background.  Or maybe underlining the link, etc.   But if
users can tell that you can click the address, I don't think there is
a UI issue since everyone is going to understand that clicking on that
address link will open an addressbook.  Adding an icon there is just
going to make that area too busy, IMHO.

Obviously, it should be easy to change this locally if you desire by
altering the template and/or CSS.

michael