[imp] Compose message in HTML not working

Michael M Slusarz slusarz at horde.org
Wed Nov 27 02:05:37 UTC 2013

Quoting Aria Bamdad <aria at bsc.gwu.edu>:

>>> Hi,
>>>

>>> We seem to have problems with HTML composition of a new or replied to
>>> message and cut/paste from Word:
>>>

>>> 1-Using Firefox 25.0, when you paste from Word using the 'paste from
> word'
>>> button, you get a browser security setting dialog box asking you to paste
> in
>>> the box, then click OK.  When you paste in the box, the formatting is
>>> preserved as in the original Word document.  However, when you click OK,
> the
>>> inserted text is unformatted.
>>>

>>> 2-When you use IE 9 or 10, the problem as above.  Pasted from word loses
>>> formatting.
>>
>> Maybe this?
>>
>> http://www.keyvan.net/2012/11/clean-up-html-on-paste-in-ckeditor/
>>
>>> 3-When you use IE 11, you can't paste at all.  You click the paste from
> word
>>> button, get a security message regarding access to the clipboard, then
> you
>>> get nothing.  In fact, you can't even do standard paste in IE 11 from say
>>> Notepad or using ctrl-C & ctrl-V.
>>
>> That sounds more like a browser/ckeditor issue.  Unfortunately, we
>> can't upgrade to ckeditor 4 because it will break a bunch of custom
>> code that is specific to ckeditor 3 (needed, e.g., to switch between
>> plaintext and html compose modes; allow spellchecking on html content).
>>
>> michael
>
> Thanks Michael.  Looking at the ckeditor site, I see lots of reported
> bugs/problems with regards to version 3.  Is there any plan for moving to
> version 4 in the future?  In a business environment, cut/paste between
> applications is quite often used as users need to get content from various
> sources to put into a message.

Unfortunately we can't.  It was extremely tricky to get ckeditor to
interact correctly with things like switching view modes, so this is
not something we can/should be changing in a minor/point release.

> Also, it seems that with IE 11, you can't cut/paste anything at all (even
> plain text).

The good news is a client of mine has also brought up this issue, so I
will most likely be looking into this issue in much more detail.

michael