[imp] imp usability questions

John H. Bennett III bennettj at thebennetthome.com
Fri Dec 27 17:45:45 UTC 2013

Hello,

After spending some time using the latest stable version of imp, I
have two usability questions to better improve my user experience.

1. Is there an easy way to change the layout of the imp main screen?
I'm talking about the From, Subject, Date, and size layout.  Often
times, from my experience, and feedback to me, the from field isn't
long enough to display who the mail was sent from.  You see the
partial from info, then the ... appended to the end?  I hate to ask,
but is it possible to implement some sort of dynamic column
adjustment?  Yeah, that question doesn't make sense.  What I'm trying
to ask is for the ability to have a sliding column adjustment that one
could use to lengthen or shorten the column fields to their liking?
This is what can be done on most client email apps, and not sure it's
doable with the web-based email app.

2. The select all checkbox now seems to me to be an unusable
feature/function.  If I choose select all, I only want to delete all
the messages on that page, not every single message in the mailbox.
This has been an issue with others that I've had using imp.  I tell
them to not use this unless they have initiated a search of their
mailbox in which they know they want to delete all messages returned
in the search.  I'm I off base here, and if so, please let me know how
I should convey the usage of this.

Thanks,

John