[imp] imp usability questions

Simon B simon.buongiorno at gmail.com
Fri Dec 27 18:36:17 UTC 2013

On 27 Dec 2013 18:59, "John H. Bennett III" <bennettj at thebennetthome.com>
wrote:

> Hello,
>
> After spending some time using the latest stable version of imp, I have
two usability questions to better improve my user experience.

> 1. Is there an easy way to change the layout of the imp main screen?  I'm
talking about the From, Subject, Date, and size layout.  Often times, from
my experience, and feedback to me, the from field isn't long enough to
display who the mail was sent from.  You see the partial from info, then
the ... appended to the end?  I hate to ask, but is it possible to
implement some sort of dynamic column adjustment?  Yeah, that question
doesn't make sense.  What I'm trying to ask is for the ability to have a
sliding column adjustment that one could use to lengthen or shorten the
column fields to their liking?  This is what can be done on most client
email apps, and not sure it's doable with the web-based email app.

This should be technologically possible from what I've seen.  I'm not a
horde developer though. From experience if it's important to you you might
need to sponsor it.

> 2. The select all checkbox now seems to me to be an unusable
feature/function.  If I choose select all, I only want to delete all the
messages on that page, not every single message in the mailbox.  This has
been an issue with others that I've had using imp.  I tell them to not use
this unless they have initiated a search of their mailbox in which they
know they want to delete all messages returned in the search.  I'm I off
base here, and if so, please let me know how I should convey the usage of
this.

But this behaviour mimics CTRL-A in Outlook.. i.e.if you select all and
delete, it deletes all messages selected, not just the visible ones.
Personally I'd be upset if this behaviour changed.  It was the best thing
about moving to the dynamic interface from horde 3 to horde 4!

Simon