[imp] Changed 'cache' parameter of in backends.local.php

Michael M Slusarz slusarz at horde.org
Wed Jan 15 04:55:48 UTC 2014

Quoting ANANT S ATHAVALE <asa at isac.gov.in>:

> ----- Message from lst_hoe02 at kwsoft.de ---------
>    Date: Tue, 14 Jan 2014 12:39:03 +0100
>    From: lst_hoe02 at kwsoft.de
> Subject: ***SPAM-UTM*** Re: [imp] Changed 'cache' parameter of in
> backends.local.php
>      To: imp at lists.horde.org
>
>> Zitat von ANANT S ATHAVALE <asa at isac.gov.in>:
>>
>>> Dear List,
>>>
>>> Based on suggestion, changed 'cache' parameter configured in
>>> backends.local.php of IMP from 'cache' to 'sql'.  Which table of Horde
>>> will now contain Cache?  I checked the contents of horde_cache and had
> no
>>> entries. Please clarify.
>>
>> From what i know it is in the horde_imap_client_* tables.
>>
>> Regards
>>
>> Andreas
>>
>> --
>
> ----- End message from lst_hoe02 at kwsoft.de -----
>
> Yes, the tables contain data.  But, I felt, checking mails was slow when
> compared to when it was set to 'cache'.  Mysqld is local to the system.

Was your cache using SQL?  There's simply no way that could be true.
Horde_Cache using the same SQL driver backend with the overhead of
Horde_Cache wrappers (and additional overhead in the IMAP Horde_Cache
driver to correctly track the cache entries).

If your cache backend is local files... then obviously this will be slower.

I really could sit here and talk about these kind of performance
issues all day.  But you've sort of touched on the endsum of open
source software.  The software itself is free.  How to use the
software - including such things such as "Which cache backend should I
use?" - is where you get beyond the scope of open source software and
into the scope of the consulting side of things.  Indeed - this is
where I make a good chunk of my living: explaining to people HOW to
setup their software for the best effect.

michael