[imp] Some of our users are loosing their mails.

Michael M Slusarz slusarz at horde.org
Thu Feb 20 07:03:48 UTC 2014

Quoting ANANT S ATHAVALE <asa at isac.gov.in>:

> ----- Message from Michael M Slusarz <slusarz at horde.org> ---------
>    Date: Wed, 19 Feb 2014 23:33:54 -0700
>    From: Michael M Slusarz <slusarz at horde.org>
> Subject: Re: [imp] Some of our users are loosing their mails.
>      To: imp at lists.horde.org
>
>> Quoting Simon B <simon.buongiorno at gmail.com>:

>>> There's a confirmation preference isn't there?  To have a pop-up
>>> confirming
>>> deletes?  Turn it on and lock it?
>>
>> And/or use a trash mailbox.  So it is not a destructive action.
>>
>> michael
>> --

> ----- End message from Michael M Slusarz <slusarz at horde.org> -----
>
> The main problem is, they should immediately realise that, they have
> deleted a mail accidently.  The users would have either setup Trash
> cleanup policy or they may be cleaning up on their own. Realilsing the
> mistake later is a problem.

At some point, a user has to accept responsibility for pressing the
delete button.  You can't make deleting a process that takes seconds
every time you do it or else the user wont use your program.

IIRC, there was a study somewhere that indicated that the confirm
delete file message in Windows was absolutely worthless.  After the
first few times it was viewed, people just clicked OK blindly to
remove the modal popup whether they meant to delete the message or
not.  The popup did nothing to warn them - it was just an annoyance.

Same here.  The Trash mailbox exists for precisely this purpose
(analogous to the recycle bin on Windows).  Users know to search there
if they accidentally remove something.

I don't see the need for a modal popup warning in Trash mailbox
either.  If people are individually deleting messages from the Trash,
they have gone out of their way to go into there, select individual
messages, and click Delete.  This is *2* times they have indicated
they want to delete that message.  If that is not confirmation that
they really want the message deleted, then nothing is. (Again... a
modal popup is NOT going to help here for the same reasons as stated
above.)

Or else you can simply disable deletions in the Trash mailbox and rely
on a logintask/cron job to periodically clean out the trash.  Then
users could never permanently delete messages on their own.

michael