[imp] Verifying smime signatures not working?

Edward Burr egburr at burr.cc
Fri May 9 00:45:29 UTC 2014

> Quoting Edward Burr <egburr at burr.cc>:
>
>> I am receiving email from a friend who uses Lotus Notes and is
>> signing his emails. After much effort, I finally figured out how to
>> extract the certificate from the smime.p7s file and import it into
>> imp (since you can't just import the smime.p7s file directly). Now
>> I am able to encrypt email to him, and imp successfully decrypts
>> email from him (getting a key and sending him my public key was
>> simple compared to importing the smime.p7s cert).
>>
>> However, one thing I have not been able to figure out yet: I can
>> not find any indication whether the signed email from him is valid
>> or not. The only way I know it is signed is because of the attached
>> smime.p7s file, but imp gives no hint that it has actually checked
>> whether the message and signature has been checked. For an
>> encrypted message, I figure I can safely assume it is intact, but
>> what about an unencrypted message?
>
> S/MIME signed messages will have a border around the signed content
> in the message view with a yellow info box that says "The data in
> this part has been digitally signed via S/MIME." and will have a
> link to verify the data.
>
> if you are not seeing this then your system either doesn't have
> support for openssl in PHP or it is disabled in the Horde/IMP
> configuration.  (FYI: your message to the list, that I am replying
> to, is S/MIME signed and I can verify the signature).

I'm still trying to figure out what I'm missing. I've got the basic
horde webmail package installed with pear. The only changes I've made
to it have been through the configuration settings in the admin
account. openssl is supported, and it is enabled. In my user account
preferences, smime is enabled. My messages to the list are being sent
with Horde/Tmp, and you're seeing it signed there, so I know it's
working. I just don't get the border around the signed content or the
box with the statement telling me it's signed. You can see it here:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/x3zjqseevf9ysjl/signed_mail.png

Edward
--
"In television it is a cardinal sin to allow the viewer a
single moment when his ears and eyes are not assaulted by