[imp] Horde (IMP) email problems

Andy Dorman adorman at ironicdesign.com
Thu May 8 20:46:15 UTC 2014

On 05/08/2014 03:25 PM, Louis-Philippe Allard wrote:
>>> 550 OU-002 (COL0-MC6-F27) Unfortunately, messages from XX.XX.XX.XX
>>>weren't sent. Please contact your Internet service provider since part of
>>>their network is on our block list. You can also refer your provider to
>>>http://mail.live.com/mail/troubleshooting.aspx#errors.

Hotmail (mail.live.com) tells you all about it in the error message you
provided above.  For whatever reason, they (Hotmail) are blocking/not
accepting email from the IP address block that your IP is in.

A lot of overly simplistic spam filters try to solve the problem of spam
by just refusing to accept email from whole swaths of IP addresses.
These are often dynamic IP addresses assigned to residential users.

It is likely that another residential user with an IP from your ISP has
an infected PC that is spewing spam and/or viruses and Hotmail has just
blocked a bunch of IPs on either side of the offending IP and you have
been caught in the same net block.

You may be able to send your outgoing email through your ISP's smtp
server.  You can check on this when you contact them to explain that
their IPs are blocked and can they contact Hotmail to get them
unblocked.  Of course then they may tell you you should not be sending
email out from a dynamic IP and that is when you ask them how to relay
your email out through their smtp server.

Good luck.

--
Andy Dorman