[imp] IDN auth failing in imp

Michael M Slusarz slusarz at horde.org
Thu Aug 14 18:26:05 UTC 2014

Quoting info at interpost.biz:

Are you *sure* you need the full foo at example.com to authenticate to
the Dovecot server?  Other MUAs may be working simply because they are
stripping off the domain.  You havent provided any verification that
this is the case.

> I tried installing pecl/idn extension - but it is very old and will
> not install with newer version of php 5.

I'm confused why you need the IDN library.  At least for this.
Nothing is being converted here.  IDN is only needed when preparing to
send via legacy RFC Mail or to parse email headers in this message.
Otherwise, an IDN is nothing more than a UTF-8 string which Horde/PHP
handles just fine.

  (I saw your
> exchange with Steffan in february of this year late). I am running
> php 5.4.26, and using sql authentication backend in horde.
>
> Have you considered trying a php class for idn and horde/imp:
> http://www.phpclasses.org/package/1509-PHP-Convert-from-and-to-IDNA-Punycode-domain-names.html

We have had this for years now.  But this has nothing to do with your issue.

> I don't know what to try. You never responded to my earlier querries
> re mbstring - or setting intl to use UTF-8?

Should be irrelevant for the current issue.

> You mentioned that horde doesn't accept UTF-8 as input for
> authentication, that it must be ascii.

I didn't say this.  I said the IMAP LOGIN command doesn't accept
non-ASCII characters.  But the IMAP AUTHENTICATE command does (which
Horde/IMP supports).

michael