[imp] How to set 'Sent Items' to be the default Sent Mail Special Folder

L. D. James ljames at apollo3.com
Mon Aug 18 20:10:16 UTC 2014

On 08/18/2014 03:37 PM, Jan Schneider wrote:

> Zitat von L. D. James <ljames at apollo3.com>:
>
>> On 08/18/2014 12:54 PM, Mauricio Jose T. Tecles wrote:
>>>
>>> ----- Mensagem de "L. D. James" <ljames at apollo3.com> ---------
>>>   Data: Mon, 18 Aug 2014 11:48:44 -0400
>>>     De: "L. D. James" <ljames at apollo3.com>
>>> Assunto: Re: [imp] How to set 'Sent Items' to be the default Sent
>>> Mail Special Folder
>>>   Para: imp at lists.horde.org

>>> It does!

>>> You didn't find them because you didn't create them. Those files
>>> must be created form the origonal ones. For example:
>>>
>>> Copy the original backends.php to backends.local.php and edit
>>> backends.local.php.
>>> Copy the original prefs.php to prefs.local.php and edit
>>> prefs.local.php. And so on.
>>>
>>> The problem of editing original *.php files is that they may be
>>> overwritten on upgrade and you may loose your modifications.
>>> Don't forget to set permission to those files.
>>>
>>> You can find this information on INSTALL documentation and at the
>>> begining of those php files.
>>>
>>> Mauricio

>>> ----- Final da mensagem de "L. D. James" <ljames at apollo3.com> -----
>>>

>>> Maurício José T. Tecles
>>> Núcleo de Informática
>>> Instituto de Biofísica Carlos Chagas Filho - UFRJ
>>> mtecles at biof.ufrj.br
>>> Tel.: (21) 3938-6526 ou 3938-6544
>>>

>> Thanks   Jose!
>>
>> When I said it didn't do anything, I'm sorry I wasn't clear.  I meant
>> it didn't do the objective of making any noticeable change.
>>
>> I really appreciate the input and am still reading the docs and
>> studying them as close as I can.  Sorry for the gaps, but I'm sure
>> with time most of the gaps will be closed and I'll remember the
>> problems that I have and share it back with others.
>>
>> I have done everything you have mentioned and still can't see any
>> difference in the saved sent mail configuration.  I'm still going
>> over it with a fine tooth comb to see what I'm still missing.
>>
>> With the input from you and Jan, it appears that I have been on the
>> right track.  I'm sure if there is something else, you or someone
>> else would mention it.  So I'll keep retrying until I can see a "Sent
>> Items" for the saved mail.
>
> You won't "see" any Sent Items folder, until you create it. Setting a
> preference doesn't magically create a new folder on your IMAP server.
> Unless you enable the autocreate_special setting in backends.local.php.
>
>> I'm going to organize the exact steps so that I can post them exactly
>> as to how I'm performing them.  I believe, as I mentioned, I'm doing
>> exactly as you have described.  But since you sound so definite,
>> there is a chance I might not be performing them exactly.
>>
>> I may perform a fresh install on another machine to ensure that I
>> don't have any confusion of my past failed attempts.
>>
>> -- L. James
>>
>> --
>> L. D. James
>> ljames at apollo3.com
> [...]

Thanks, Jan.  The "Sent Items" are already a part of the imap system.
It's automatically created and used by all mail clients. It's my
intentions is to keep this configuration consistent with Horde.  It was
substantially easier back when I originally installed Horde in the late
90's.  Horde has always used the "Sent Items" folders.  It's been so
long ago since I last installed it and set it up, that I'm having
problems remembering everything I did back then.  So far it was all I
could do to just get something working after a hard drive crash.

As you can  see from what I already initially posted (ever though I
already have the "Sent Items" folder for all the clients, I still set
backends.php (which I have recently copied to "backends.local.php") to
automatically create the folders.

I really appreciate you taking the time to mention and confirm these steps.

By the way, whenever there is a configuration change, is there something
that should be done to have the system reinitialize to recognize the new
configuration?

-- L. James

--
L. D. James