[imp] Search results of more than 100 messages cause 'error communicating with the server'

Tim ODriscoll tim.odriscoll at lambrookschool.co.uk
Wed Aug 20 08:29:42 UTC 2014

> The only thing I can think of is that your cache storage backend is
> not writable by the webserver.  You should make sure that cache
> files are actually appearing in the directory you have configured to
> store cache files in.

Thank you for the summary of the caching process. I've verified that
the cache files are appearing for both the Horde Cache and Horde
Sessions. I've put them into seperate sub directories off /tmp now
(and changed their ownership to the same as the webserver) and files
are appearing in there with the designated prefix. Each file ranges in
size from 1 byte to 533Kb at the time of writing. I've tried changing
the directory depth setting to no avail as well, so have put it back
to 0.

So if I understand this correctly, IMP is caching the data correctly
to disk but is not reading it back for some reason. Surely if apache
can write the cache files in the first place, it should be able to
read them back again? Indeed, if there was a caching problem it would
manifest itself somewhere else as well?

Short of a complete server rebuild to wipe the slate clean, is there
anything else I can try?

Many thanks,

Tim