[imp] Various meaningful IMP default settings

Daniel Vollbrecht d.vollbrecht at scram.de
Tue Dec 16 11:00:52 UTC 2014

Hi all,

having non-Ajax Horde 3 for many years, I recently upgraded to 5.2.2.

I noticed the following drawbacks compared to the previous version which
are set by default and would like to propose the following changes (the
first two points could be considered as bugs):

1. Apparently empty large folders: Show a message "loading" notification
if opening large folders (1000+ messages on a remote and slightly slow
IMAP server in my case). Currently, large folders are shown empty with
"no messages". Even pressing the reload button and waiting a long time
doesn't help. However, if I browse to another folder and immediately
browse back to the large one, all messages are shown - and then cached
during the session. But after logout, same again. This really confuses
the users ("all mails lost!").

2. Message order: Folders are always opened in the right order that I
configured (newest on top), but the oldest message at the bottom is
selected and thus the scroll bar is at its bottommost position. It
should be at the topmost position as I always have to scroll up for
miles to see the newest messages.

3. Mail view: show sender email address *and* 'from' name by default (or
by user option), not only the from name (From: from name <sender at domain>).

This really seems to be an Outlook disease that also made it into e.g.
Thunderbird, but at least there it applies only to addressbook-known
users and there's an option to switch it off which IMP doesn't have.

E.g. I get lots of different MAILER-DAEMON messages and never know from
which system they are as the from name is the same, only the email
adress differs. Furthermore, email is an untrustworthy application, so
at least users shouldn't be forced to not even be able to verify the
address.

4. Verifiability: Regarding 3, it would be even more useful if
DKIM-signatures could additionally be shown under the From/To lines as
GMail does it ("mailed by/verified by sender.domain").

5. Country flags: Introduce an option and set it default to expand the
'from' field to show country flags immediately to avoid two clicks (one
to the triangle left to it and one more on the sender's name).

If any of these can already be configured, please let me know as I
couldn't find options. I think this belongs into the options and should
not be solved by a hook.

Best, Daniel