[imp] Various meaningful IMP default settings

lst_hoe02 at kwsoft.de lst_hoe02 at kwsoft.de
Tue Dec 16 11:35:14 UTC 2014

Zitat von Daniel Vollbrecht <d.vollbrecht at scram.de>:

> Hi all,
>
> having non-Ajax Horde 3 for many years, I recently upgraded to 5.2.2.
>
> I noticed the following drawbacks compared to the previous version
> which are set by default and would like to propose the following
> changes (the first two points could be considered as bugs):
>
> 1. Apparently empty large folders: Show a message "loading"
> notification if opening large folders (1000+ messages on a remote
> and slightly slow IMAP server in my case). Currently, large folders
> are shown empty with "no messages". Even pressing the reload button
> and waiting a long time doesn't help. However, if I browse to
> another folder and immediately browse back to the large one, all
> messages are shown - and then cached during the session. But after
> logout, same again. This really confuses the users ("all mails
> lost!").

We have also seen this, but only on our really slow test server. I
have not investigated yet but maybe the PHP script timeout is set too
low?

> 2. Message order: Folders are always opened in the right order that
> I configured (newest on top), but the oldest message at the bottom
> is selected and thus the scroll bar is at its bottommost position.
> It should be at the topmost position as I always have to scroll up
> for miles to see the newest messages.

There is a setting in IMP if the newest unread message is displayed
first or the oldest unread. This should do the trick, no?

> 3. Mail view: show sender email address *and* 'from' name by default
> (or by user option), not only the from name (From: from name
> <sender at domain>).
>
> This really seems to be an Outlook disease that also made it into
> e.g. Thunderbird, but at least there it applies only to
> addressbook-known users and there's an option to switch it off which
> IMP doesn't have.

I also somewhat dislike it also but the mail address after all is only
routing information, the "real" name is the person we known about.
This is what most users like to known. With mouse-over you should
actually see the mail address.

> E.g. I get lots of different MAILER-DAEMON messages and never know
> from which system they are as the from name is the same, only the
> email adress differs. Furthermore, email is an untrustworthy
> application, so at least users shouldn't be forced to not even be
> able to verify the address.

Hmm, the MAILER-DAEMON messages (bounces) actually has the empty
sender address in most cases, so not sure what you like to verify in
this case.

> 4. Verifiability: Regarding 3, it would be even more useful if
> DKIM-signatures could additionally be shown under the From/To lines
> as GMail does it ("mailed by/verified by sender.domain").

Might be a option, but if you really need verified email you have to
use S/MIME or PGP. After all you like to know who have sent/created
the mail and not who has delivered it. We got many Spams today with
perfect DKIM signatures, but i don't like my users see this as
trustworthy for sure.

Regards

Andreas