[imp] "Error Connecting to SMTP Server" - Having difficulty troubleshooting !

Michael M Slusarz slusarz at horde.org
Fri May 8 17:45:30 UTC 2015

Quoting Tim Smith <r.andomdev4+imp at gmail.com>:

> Also, coming back to your earlier point, even if "that means it was
> not able to reach that host/port combination. " were true, it is a
> pretty lousy sort of debug feature if "Horde writes nothing to the
> debug log " because its unable to reach the host/port.   If I turn on
> debugging on a piece of software, its because I want more verbosity
> into what's going on behind the scenes.  Being unable to reach a
> host/port seems to me to be a pretty obvious thing that should appear
> in a debug log (infact, is should really appear in the standard logs,
> you shouldn't need to turn on debugging to see a connectivity issue).

The main issue is there is no way of programatically knowing *why* the
connection failed at the PHP userland level.

Horde doesn't do the connection plumbing - this is all handled by the
PHP steam_socket_client() call.  An error in that function MAY provide
error details... but it may not.  Error code provided by it is pretty
much worthless since it is dependent on the underlying OS
implementation of the connect system call.

The patch I provided (which has been added to IMP 7) will print out
whatever error message/code was returned, but that's about the extent
of logging IMP is going to do.

michael