[imp] Signature before quoted message, forward with individual attachments

Joao S Veiga jsveiga at rf.com.br
Fri May 8 23:26:55 UTC 2015

Hi,

this is a quick&dirty hack including two changes my users couldn't
live without (spoiled by 10+ years of OpenWebmail being adapted to
their wishes).

http://rf.com.br/pub/sig_before_and_forward_attachments.zip

The patch file applies on a Debian 8 (Jessie), IMP 6.2.2 installed
from debian packages:
# cd /usr/share/horde/imp
# patch -p1 < path_to/sig_before_and_forward_attachments.patch

The sigbefore.prefs.php is to be placed on /etc/horde/imp/prefs.d.
Check the contents, if you already have a modified identities
preferences list, it will override it. If you already have something
on /etc/horde/imp/prefs.d, prefix the name with a number for
precedence if it matters.

What changes:

1 - Adds an option on the Mail prefs page to insert signatures before
the quoted message (IOW, right after the typed message in the compose
editor itself, WYSIWYG).

2 - Makes the "Forward as in body text" and default behaviour for the
"Forward" button to open the compose window with the forwarded message
text in the edit window and the original message attachments already
attached. User can delete or add more attachments individually. Like
it happens in Thunderbird, Gmail, OpenWebmail, and Outlook (the only
other mail client I used was Eudora; don't know how it did it).

If anyone is interested, I can generate separate patch files for each change.

Disclaimers:
- I'm no php programmer. Use at your own risk.
- My first contact with Horde was 3 weeks ago. Installed on my
production server a week ago (~90 users).
- Signature patch is in use for a week already. Forward change I just
made it; I hadn't noticed how IMP did it and the HR Manager was hazed
and confuuused today.
- Horde developers do not endorse, do not recommend, and actually
probably hate this, as these changes go against RFCs. The result is
not nearly close to Horde's quality standards (I'm not being sarcastic).
- I'm just making this available because I got this excellent SW for
free and saw other people in need of these changes, so I feel obliged
to offer my "solution", even at the risk of being flogged.

Best regards
Joao S Veiga