[imp] S/MIME and PGP not working

Markus Turba mtspam at tesira.de
Sun Jun 14 09:05:40 UTC 2015

found it!!! (although I am still clueless on the "wtf?" part of it all).

It is indeed my php config. After looking a bit closer I saw (and then
my bad brain started to remember) that I had to tweak my php settings
a bit for the ajax.php in the horde config, because I could not get it
run with the standard fastcgi_params include of nginx. For reasons I
still have not understood that extra (new) include for ajax.php
resulting in having an empty _server("HTTPS") string, resulting in my
problem. Now I hardcorded it to "on" everything is fine, although I
still havent understood what makes the variable go emtpy in the first
place, as there is nothing around which unsets it, but I guess thats
not in the scope of this mailing list to discuss, so I say a big THANK
YOU and leave you guys at peace!

Markus

Quoting Markus Turba <mtspam at tesira.de>:

> Thanks for the pointer Michael,
>
> running a phpinfo() in the php shell from  the horde admin gives me
> this output in the variables:
>
> _SERVER["SERVER_PROTOCOL"]	HTTP/1.1
> _SERVER["HTTPS"]	on
> _SERVER["GATEWAY_INTERFACE"]	CGI/1.1
> _SERVER["SERVER_SOFTWARE"]	nginx/1.9.1
>
> so I would assume "on" IS indeed "non-empty", or am I mistaken here?
> I tried hardcoding setting any other textstring, but then firefox is
> starting to complain that part of the website isnt secure, so it
> seems the browser even looks for more then just "non-empty" but to
> be "on".
>
> The article you linked mentioned some old and now removed
> http_server_vars and these are of course gone because my php version
> is already 5.5. It seems a bit far fetched, but it sounds like my
> imp version is still checking on that ancient var maybe instead of
> the new one? Can you point me to the file in horde where these
> checks are done and I have a look myself?
>
> Markus

>> Quoting Markus Turba <mtspam at tesira.de>:
>>
>>> Whenever I try to sent an email with any s/mime or pgp action
>>> enabled I get the error message that this service needs a secure
>>> web connection. Now the irritating part of this is the fact that I
>>> am of course using a secured browser session via https, so I am a
>>> bit clueless what that error message actually means. This worked
>>> at some point in the past, because I have horde now running for a
>>> few years and at some point activated both s/mime and pgp support,
>>> configured and tested it, but afterwards rarely used it. So while
>>> it was working in the past it is now not working at all, no matter
>>> what browser I try or which encryption/signing option I test. It
>>> is always the same:
>>>
>>> 1) after hitting "send" I get the yellow "Enter your personal ...
>>> passphrase"