[imp] message selection in imp

Jens Wahnes wahnes at uni-koeln.de
Mon Jul 20 19:41:12 UTC 2015

On Mo, Jul 20 2015, at 19:59:02 +0200, Michael Menge wrote:

> If no message is selected but one is shown (preview) actions like delete
> should work on the shown message.

Maybe you can convince your users to double-click such a message first.
When it is shown in a new window, the delete button inside that window
always works on that one message.

(If your users are in any way like ours, you'll have a few that are
complaining very loudly, but can be taught how to do work around a
problem.  Then, of course, some don't want to work around a problem but
insist that the program should behave the way they want.)

> You can change the selection of mails by clicking on the ceckbox without
> pressing Shift or Ctrl. So "issues" 3 can be solved by always using the
> Ctrl  key. But I guesse some of my users don't know the GUI standards or
> are too lazy to eep pressing Ctrl.

When setting these checkmarks, one thing to do is to watch more closely
before clicking on the pseudo-checkbox.  Only when the green box with
the checkmark is displayed below the mouse cursor, one is in "checkbox
mode" where clicking sets just this one checkbox and leaves all others
as were.  Otherwise, one is in "SAA mode" and needs to use the modifier
keys (Shift and Control) to do selections.  However, AFAICT, there is
no guidance to tell whether or not one is in "checkbox mode" when
removing checkmarks.

Jens