[imp] message selection in imp

Michael Menge michael.menge at zdv.uni-tuebingen.de
Tue Jul 21 14:20:27 UTC 2015

Quoting Jens Wahnes <wahnes at uni-koeln.de>:

> On Mo, Jul 20 2015, at 19:59:02 +0200, Michael Menge wrote:
>
>> If no message is selected but one is shown (preview) actions like delete
>> should work on the shown message.
>
> Maybe you can convince your users to double-click such a message first.
> When it is shown in a new window, the delete button inside that window
> always works on that one message.
>
> (If your users are in any way like ours, you'll have a few that are
> complaining very loudly, but can be taught how to do work around a
> problem.  Then, of course, some don't want to work around a problem but
> insist that the program should behave the way they want.)

We recently switched from horde 3.3 to horde 5.2, so the new dynamic interface
is new to our users. On the one hand, there are always users that
don't like the
changes and want to keep the old. On the other hand, the reports indicate that
the horde/imp did not work in the way they expected.

I don't know if there is a majority of users that expected the selection
to work different, as only few users will report such problems. But if it
would be possible to change horde that it works in the way these users expect
it to work without breaking how the the other users expect horde to work
it could improve the GUI. But I don't know if it is possible or not.

Given some time the users will learn to work around and get used to
how horde works.

>> You can change the selection of mails by clicking on the ceckbox without
>> pressing Shift or Ctrl. So "issues" 3 can be solved by always using the
>> Ctrl  key. But I guesse some of my users don't know the GUI standards or
>> are too lazy to eep pressing Ctrl.
>
> When setting these checkmarks, one thing to do is to watch more closely
> before clicking on the pseudo-checkbox.  Only when the green box with
> the checkmark is displayed below the mouse cursor, one is in "checkbox
> mode" where clicking sets just this one checkbox and leaves all others
> as were.  Otherwise, one is in "SAA mode" and needs to use the modifier
> keys (Shift and Control) to do selections.  However, AFAICT, there is
> no guidance to tell whether or not one is in "checkbox mode" when
> removing checkmarks.
>

> Jens

M.Menge                                Tel.: (49) 7071/29-70316
Universität Tübingen                   Fax.: (49) 7071/29-5912
Zentrum für Datenverarbeitung          mail:
michael.menge at zdv.uni-tuebingen.de
Wächterstraße 76
72074 Tübingen