[imp] message selection in imp

Michael Menge michael.menge at zdv.uni-tuebingen.de
Tue Jul 21 19:57:46 UTC 2015

Quoting Jens Wahnes <wahnes at uni-koeln.de>:

> Michael Menge wrote:
>
>> We recently switched from horde 3.3 to horde 5.2, so the new dynamic
>> interface
>> is new to our users. On the one hand, there are always users that don't
>> like the
>> changes and want to keep the old. On the other hand, the reports
>> indicate that
>> the horde/imp did not work in the way they expected.
>
> Very similar situation here.  With any luck, you might also have
> users that are so such much used to mails being spread out to
> "pages" that after the switch to dynamic mode, they mistakenly
> delete their whole Inbox because the special "check all mails"
> checkbox in the table heading really checks alle mails, even those
> not on the current "page".  At least, that's what we have been
> experiencing a couple of times.

Yes! We did expect it, and it happened quit a few times in the first week,
but much less often now. And cyrus unexpunge feature is helping great keeping
the work to restore the mail to a minimum.

> I've been thinking that it might be a good idea to have an option to
> define a threshold such that if one attempts to delete more than X
> mails at once, there is a warning like "You are about to delete Y
> emails to once. Are you sure you want to continue?".  However, I
> really don't know if that warning would actually be read.  Maybe
> others can comment on that, too.
>
>> I don't know if there is a majority of users that expected the selection
>> to work different, as only few users will report such problems. But if it
>> would be possible to change horde that it works in the way these users
>> expect
>> it to work without breaking how the the other users expect horde to work
>> it could improve the GUI. But I don't know if it is possible or not.
>
> I don't really see a good way how this could be gracefully handled
> in the dynamic GUI.  The next best solution I can think of would be
> to tackle the "deselection" problem I mentioned before, e.g. the
> pseudo-checkbox could be displayed using a different color when one
> is about to deselect a message.

this should be possible with css

M.Menge                                Tel.: (49) 7071/29-70316
Universität Tübingen                   Fax.: (49) 7071/29-5912
Zentrum für Datenverarbeitung          mail:
michael.menge at zdv.uni-tuebingen.de
Wächterstraße 76
72074 Tübingen