[imp] message selection in imp

Jens Wahnes wahnes at uni-koeln.de
Tue Jul 21 16:10:29 UTC 2015

Michael Menge wrote:

> We recently switched from horde 3.3 to horde 5.2, so the new dynamic
> interface
> is new to our users. On the one hand, there are always users that don't
> like the
> changes and want to keep the old. On the other hand, the reports
> indicate that
> the horde/imp did not work in the way they expected.

Very similar situation here.  With any luck, you might also have users
that are so such much used to mails being spread out to "pages" that
after the switch to dynamic mode, they mistakenly delete their whole
Inbox because the special "check all mails" checkbox in the table
heading really checks alle mails, even those not on the current "page".
  At least, that's what we have been experiencing a couple of times.

I've been thinking that it might be a good idea to have an option to
define a threshold such that if one attempts to delete more than X mails
at once, there is a warning like "You are about to delete Y emails to
once. Are you sure you want to continue?".  However, I really don't know
if that warning would actually be read.  Maybe others can comment on
that, too.

> I don't know if there is a majority of users that expected the selection
> to work different, as only few users will report such problems. But if it
> would be possible to change horde that it works in the way these users
> expect
> it to work without breaking how the the other users expect horde to work
> it could improve the GUI. But I don't know if it is possible or not.

I don't really see a good way how this could be gracefully handled in
the dynamic GUI.  The next best solution I can think of would be to
tackle the "deselection" problem I mentioned before, e.g. the
pseudo-checkbox could be displayed using a different color when one is
about to deselect a message.

Jens