[imp] Incoming Message Format

Michael J Rubinsky mrubinsk at horde.org
Tue Nov 3 16:46:29 UTC 2015

Quoting Matt Barber <matt.barber at sbhcmuseum.org>:

> Hello,
>
> I'm new to the Horde mail application and I can't seem to figure out how to
> change a particular setting. I want my incoming mail to automatically
> download and show messages and content in the preview window, but I can't
> figure out how to do this. The current setting will only show simple text.
> Anything more sophisticated than this must be downloaded before it is
> displayed in a different window.
>
> Is this the current standard? Is there a way to display incoming messages
> in the manner I'd like it to? Any help is much appreciated!

I'm going to assume that you mean you want to view your email as HTML
when available, instead of just plain text.

This could be two different settings that need to be changed. One must
be done by someone with administrative access to the Horde server, the
other is a setting the user can change.

If this is not *your* server, which I'm guessing it's not, but rather
your host's, then they need to enable inline html in IMP's
configuration if it's not already. This is off by default because HTML
email is generally a bad idea. Among other things, it can be
considered a security threat.

If this is already enabled, then you need to set your preferences to
show it by default. This is done in Preferences -> Mail -> Viewing
(must enable "advanced preferences") -> "For messages with alternative
representations of a text part, which part should be displayed?"   If
you do enable this, you should at least block loading images
automatically by default (the next preference down).

--
mike
The Horde Project