[imp] Shift-delete feature request

Jens Wahnes wahnes at uni-koeln.de
Fri Nov 27 11:41:53 UTC 2015

On Fri, Nov 27 2015, at 11:04:08 +0100, Simon B wrote:

> It's odd, because I thought I had advanced settings shown by default.

AFAIK, showing the advanced prefs can only be enabled for a specific
session, but not permanently.

> However, I'd still like the ability to permanently delete mail from any
> folder.

All I can say about that it that from my point of view, that feature is
difficult to implement, because it would require one to *reliably*
(re-)set the flags of potentially many mails in a folder since IMAP
does not allow the deletion of a single arbitrary message per se.  So
it can only be done by emulating this, i.e. removing any "deleted"
flags present, flagging the message in question as deleted, doing
EXPUNGE (or CLOSE, for that matter) and resetting all message flags
removed previously.  Since there can be several IMAP clients active on
a mailbox at any given time, it would be very hard to get this right
since these operations are not atomic.  That's true especially if you
consider that there could be trouble with the imap connection in
between the commands required to do this, so this might require to
implement some "to do list" of IMAP commands that would need to be
(reliably) stored somewhere until the connection to the IMAP server can
be re-established.  In essence, I would not consider the effect of this
worth the effort needed.

Jens