[imp] Weird behavioh while using multiple identities

Leonardo Bruno leonardo at cefetmg.br
Tue Jun 20 21:41:12 UTC 2017

Hi, everyone!

I work for a government institution and I have a Horde Groupware 5.2.2
setup running perfectly on a Debian 8 box. I used the official Debian
packages.

Here we need to have 'departmental' accounts e.g. it at example.com.

What we used to do in the past is to create real accounts and share
the passwords with the people that should access this dept account.
Just imagine the myriad of problems that gave us...

Well, now we use shared namespaces and IMAP ACLs. Postfix/LDAP/Dovecot
are all set up so the messages sent to 'it at example.com' will be
delivered in a shared folder 'IT' created under the 'Dept. folders'
namespace. The 'IT' folder's ACL include all IT people so they will
log into IMP, see the 'IT' folder and all the messages sent to
'it at example.com' *inside* their own accounts. These people will also
be able to send messages as 'it at example.com' thanks to the identities
added to their Horde/IMP preferences.

Almost everything works perfectly, except in this case:

A hypothetical IT guy 'jhondoe at example.com' open a new message window,
chose 'From:' field as 'it at example.com' and send a message to
'janedoe at example.com', a user of the same LDAP/Dovecot/Postfix/Horde
ecosystem that 'jhondoe at example.com' and 'it at example.com' belong to.

Jane receive and reads the Jhon's message and decides to reply it:
with the message selected, she clicks 'Reply' button and a new message
window opens with the 'To:' field empty. It also happens if Jane
clicks 'Reply > To all' in dropdown 'Reply' menu.

However, if Jane selects Jhon's message and clicks 'Reply > To
Sender', the 'To:' field appears correctly filled with 'it at example.com'.

I firstly thought that this was due to some mistake in the
'it at example.com' identity that 'jhondoe at example.com' used, but if we
reproduce the same use case now sending the message to
'janedoe at gmail.com' (note the 'external' destination) everything works
as expected: the Gmail 'Reply' button starts a response to
'it at example.com'.

Anyway, here is the source of the message Jhon sends to Jane, as she received: