[imp] Weird behavioh while using multiple identities

Jens Wahnes wahnes at uni-koeln.de
Thu Jun 22 08:06:07 UTC 2017

leonardo at cefetmg.br wrote:

> The combination 'tieto_addr'='it at example.com', 'from_addr'='',
> 'replyto_addr'='' works well (I mean, one replying messages from
> 'it at example.com' will get 'it at example.com' in 'To:' field). Any other
> combination will result in an empty 'To:' field.

I'll have to admit that I have not tried to set any of those preferences
to values that cannot be set via the graphical interface. For instance,
tieto_addr should be an array, as far as I can tell, because you can
have multiple addresses tied to one identity.

When you did you tests, did you keep in mind that there are two
scenarios to consider? One is a "regular user" replying to an "IT
department e-mail", the other is "an IT guy" replying to a previous "IT
department e-mail". I'd suppose that the former is much more common than
the latter.

Another way to use identities in your case would be to put
"it at example.com" as the "From" address for IT guys and also add
"it at example.com" to the "Bcc" list. Then, when one IT guy replies to
another IT guy's message, it would automatically be sent to
"it at example.com" despite the "To" field being empty.

> What is new for me is that in all the combinations of identity field
> values (replyto_addr, from_addr, tieto_addr), the following message is
> shown when one clicks "Send" button when replying to 'it at example.com':
>
> "Your identity has been switched to the identity associated with the
> current recipient address. Click this box to revert to the original
> identity. The identity will not be checked again during this compose
> action."
>
> I've never seen this message before. If we click the yellow box, the
> default identity is restored and the rest goes as I just explained. Have
> I messed things up?

No, you did not mess up. That's the way identities are supposed to work.
They allow you to use different settings (like signature and name, but
"From" address as well) from one account. Also, a certain identity will
be chosen automatically depending on the address the original message
(the one you're replying to) was sent to. This allows for a quite
sophisticated mail setup, where one person can easily answer many
different service addresses without having to remember to switch
identities manually.

Jens