[imp] Weird behavioh while using multiple identities

leonardo at cefetmg.br leonardo at cefetmg.br
Wed Jun 21 19:51:30 UTC 2017

Quoting Jens Wahnes <wahnes at uni-koeln.de>:

> Could it be that "Jane" in this example is part of the IT department too?

Yes, in this case Jane is part of the IT department and has exactly
the same 'it at example.com' identity that 'jhondoe at example.com' has.

> The above can happen when "Jane" has got an identity where
> it at example.com is either the "default e-mail address" or one of the
> "alias addresses". These kinds of addresses are considered to be
> personal addresses, i.e. e-mail messages show up with the "Personal"
> icon in list view if they have been sent to an address that is among
> these (default or alias) addresses. Another effect of "personal
> addresses" is that these addresses are removed from the list of
> recipients when replying to a message (this is so that one does not
> reply to self). This seems to be what happened in your example.

That makes all the sense.

> If the above fits to your circumstances, you need to consider more
> thoroughly what kind of "mail routing" you want to achieve and how
> to do it. One way to do this with Imp is to move the
> "it at example.com" address from the "default e-mail address" or alias
> address fields into the field of addresses "tied" to that "IT"
> identity. Tied-to addresses are not considered personal addresses
> and will not be removed from the recipient's list when replying. If
> you add a "reply-to" address (it at example.com) to Jane's "IT"
> identity as well, things should work as before, as replies will be
> sent to the "group" address as well. However, if you need to
> explicitly hide the actual sender's address from the recipients,
> this approach will not work.

I have made several tests with "IT" identity according to this logic.
Only to clarify, I put 'departmental' identities like 'it at example.com'
directly in database, by serializing a PHP array as follows:

$newID = array(
     'id' => 'it at example.com',
     'fullname' => 'IT Dept.',
     'replyto_addr' => array('it at example.com'),
     'from_addr' => 'it at example.com',
     'tieto_addr' => 'it at example.com',
     'save_sent_mail' => 1,
     'sent_mail_folder' => 'Dept. folders/IT/Sent',
);

The combination 'tieto_addr'='it at example.com', 'from_addr'='',
'replyto_addr'='' works well (I mean, one replying messages from
'it at example.com' will get 'it at example.com' in 'To:' field). Any other
combination will result in an empty 'To:' field.

What is new for me is that in all the combinations of identity field
values (replyto_addr, from_addr, tieto_addr), the following message is
shown when one clicks "Send" button when replying to 'it at example.com':

"Your identity has been switched to the identity associated with the
current recipient address. Click this box to revert to the original
identity. The identity will not be checked again during this compose
action."

I've never seen this message before. If we click the yellow box, the
default identity is restored and the rest goes as I just explained.
Have I messed things up?

> Jens

Thank you so much! (And sorry for the broken English)