[imp] Very large tables

Arjen de Korte arjen+horde at de-korte.org
Tue Aug 29 10:53:21 UTC 2017

Citeren Federico Giannici <giannici at neomedia.it>:

> Hi!
>
> We are using Horde as WebMail for a few hundreds of users.
>
> In the last months I have noticed that the disks load (two SSD in
> RAID1) is grown a lot. We use MySQL (actually MariaDB) as DB. I
> looked at the tables and have noticed that there are two very large
> tables:
>
> - horde_vfs: 24G size, 74 thousands records
> - horde_imap_client_message: 12G size, 6 million records!
>
> Are these sizes and number of records "normal"?

Neither are purged automatically, so this may be normal.

> Is there any mechanism to purge old records from these tables? Or
> they will grow forever?

You can use 'imp-query-imap-cache --lifetime <seconds>' to trim
'horde_imap_client_message'. Nothing will be lost, anything not in the
cache will be retreived from the IMAP server again, possibly causing a
slight delay.

Regarding 'horde_vfs', it really depends on what is in there. It can
be used for several things. Attachments and drafts can be stored there
before sending and you may wish to trim very old entries. But it can
also be used for more permanent storage, in which case trimming is
probably not such a good idea. Things will be permanently lost, so be
careful here, as it will p*ss off your users if you remove things they
actually use.