[imp] Imp issuing improper "SORT" command at login?

Michael J Rubinsky mrubinsk at horde.org
Sun Feb 24 15:57:10 UTC 2019

Quoting James Noyes <jnoyes-horde at retrogeeks.com>:

> I have a current up-to-date-via-pear install of horde/imp webmail,
> using imp's IMAP for user authentication.
> This setup was working well until recently.
>
> Horde/imp is now reporting "IMAP error reported by server." at user login.
> Capturing the IMAP conversation shows that horde/imp is issuing an
> improper IMAP "SORT" command, leaving out the mandatory charset
> specification, at login.  This breaks imp functionality, and appears
> to be a reasonably recent change in behavior.

The charset is only required if UTF-8 support is not enabled on the
IMAP server, and it is *prohibited* if UTF-8 is enabled on the server.

What IMAP server are you using? Since you mention this recently
started happening, what has been changed recently?

What is the CAPABILITY response from the IMAP log?