[imp] Imp issuing improper "SORT" command at login?

James Noyes jnoyes-horde at retrogeeks.com
Sun Feb 24 22:22:33 UTC 2019

On 2/24/19, 08:57, Michael J Rubinsky wrote:
> The charset is only required if UTF-8 support is not enabled on the IMAP
> server, and it is *prohibited* if UTF-8 is enabled on the server.

RFC5256 seems to disagree:
"The SORT command is a variant of SEARCH with sorting semantics for
       the results.  There are two arguments before the searching
       criteria argument: a parenthesized list of sort criteria, and the
       searching charset.

       The charset argument is mandatory (unlike SEARCH) and indicates
       the [CHARSET] of the strings that appear in the searching
       criteria.  The US-ASCII and [UTF-8] charsets MUST be implemented.
       All other charsets are optional."
Is there another RFC that supersedes this requirement, or explicitly
documents the prohibition you mention?

> What IMAP server are you using? Since you mention this recently started
> happening, what has been changed recently?

Courier-imap 5.0.6.  This is why I'm curious about the SORT RFC.
If Courier has implemented SORT incorrectly, I'll need to be able to
demonstrate that to the maintainer.

I tend to "pear upgrade" horde at least weekly, but I don't recall what
components have recently had updates.
Courier was updated a little more than a month ago.
I don't recall having any issues w/ horde/imp until last night, but I
also don't use it daily.

> What is the CAPABILITY response from the IMAP log?

* CAPABILITY IMAP4rev1 UIDPLUS CHILDREN NAMESPACE THREAD=ORDEREDSUBJECT
THREAD=REFERENCES SORT QUOTA IDLE AUTH=PLAIN ACL ACL2=UNION XMAGICTRASH
ENABLE UTF8=ACCEPT
<n> OK CAPABILITY completed

So UTF8 is apparently enabled.  I don't recall specifically setting a
configuration to enable it, so I assume this is a default behavior of
Courier.