[imp] Identity's default email address is ignored

Arjen de Korte build+horde at de-korte.org
Thu Apr 16 14:11:51 UTC 2020

Citeren Frank Wille <horde at wendik.de>:

> Hi,
>
> we are using Horde 5.2.22 and IMP 6.2.22 on our web server and noticed that
> the email address, which is configured for the default identity in the
> "Personal Information" tab is lost/replaced as soon as the mail hits the
> SMTP server.
>
> Example:
>
> I have configured my email address as: joe.user at wendik.de. This is one of
> many addresses defined in Postfix' canonical file as an alias, besides
> user at wendik.de, for example. The actual email account on the mail server
> is "ju".
>
> So I log in into Horde with "ju" using the email account's password. When I
> sent a mail with my default identity (which has joe.user at wendik.de) all
> seems fine at first. The mail in IMP's Sent folder has the correct sender,
> and even when viewing the mail's source in the web interface it shows:
>   From: Joe User <joe.user at wendik.de>
>
> But what I see on the mail server (which is the same machine, running the
> web server and Horde) log is this:
>   E4D2DC963A: from=<ju at wendik.de>, size=1043, nrcpt=2 (queue active)
>
> And it also shows up like this at the recipient of this message.

Unsurprising. See http://www.postfix.org/canonical.5.html for an
explanation what the canonical mapping really is for (clearly not what
you're expecting it to do).

> I found no solution for it and ignored it for a while because it is not
> critical, but now we want to have a second identity for some of our
> employees. So Joe User defined another identity with a different email
> address and signature under "Personal Information" - for example:
>  joe.user at newdomain.com
>
> You might guess it, although the mail gets the correct signature it will
> reach the mail server as ju at wendik.de !
>
> Now we have a real problem. :(
> Any hints?
> Thanks in advance.

You should probably be using http://www.postfix.org/aliases.5.html or
http://www.postfix.org/virtual.5.html to do this.

This is not a Horde problem, if you need more help, you really should
be asking this on a Postfix related mailinglist.