[imp] Only some messages download and display over ActiveSync on phones

Michael J Rubinsky mrubinsk at horde.org
Thu Sep 16 16:30:32 UTC 2021

Hi Sebastian,

Yes, I received the logs but haven't had time to have a deep look at
them yet. Hoping to have some time this coming weekend.

Quoting Sebastian Arcus <s.arcus at open-t.co.uk>:

> On 10/09/2021 00:16, Michael J Rubinsky wrote:
>>
>> Quoting Sebastian Arcus <s.arcus at open-t.co.uk>:
>>
>>> I am facing a really strange issue with Horde/Imp on mobile
>>> devices. A quick background:
>>>
>>> The setup is:
>>>
>>> Horde 5.2.21
>>> Lighttpd 1.4.59
>>> PHP 7.3.10
>>> Dovecot 2.3.7.2
>>> Exim 4.92.2
>>>
>>> This install has been running for years, and as far as I can think
>>> nothing has been updated or reconfigured recently - at least not
>>> in the last few weeks.
>>>
>>> In the last few days, one of the users has started to experience
>>> some emails not downloading on his mobile devices - for no
>>> explainable reason.
>>>
>>> 1. The emails are showing up fine over IMAP in Thuderbird.
>>> 2. The mobile devices with problems are two iPhones, one iPad, and
>>> I just tested it in Bluemail on an Android phone.
>>> 3. It isn't always the same messages - if I remove and re-create
>>> the accounts, I get a different random selection of messages
>>> downloaded, after which the sync stops. For example I might have
>>> most messages from today, then yesterday and the day before
>>> missing, then some messages from the day before. There is nothing
>>> logical about it.
>>>
>>> I've checked everywhere I can think of:
>>>
>>> 1. I've forced resyncing of mailboxes in Dovecot (although I don't
>>> think the problem is there, as all messages show properly in
>>> Thunderbird
>>> 2. I've changed email passwords
>>> 3. I've deleted and re-added email accounts on the iPhone
>>> 4. I've hard-reset the iPhones, to try to clear the email cache
>>> 5. I've configured the email accounts on an Android phone - still
>>> same issues
>>> 6. I've checked Horde ActiveSync error logs - aside from errors
>>> about duplicate sync keys, there doesn't seem to be anything else
>>> there.
>>> 7. I've tried downloading emails over internal wifi and over 4G