[ingo] IMP/Ingo working together... someday... I hope

Brent J. Nordquist bjn at horde.org
Thu Apr 3 15:23:04 PST 2003

On Thu, 3 Apr 2003, Michael M Slusarz <slusarz at bigworm.colorado.edu> wrote:

> Mike has written an excellent UI for manipulating the blacklist/filters

Agreed!  Guess it's time for me to chime in with my plans; it sounds like
we're going to be in the same neighborhood.  :-)  These plans are why I
committed the null driver.

> since we may now be using ingo without a Sieve server (this is my setup,
> for example), there needs to be a way to convert the sieve script into
> something that can be handled by a basic IMAP server using simple IMAP
> commands - namely stuff that can be passed into imap_search().  For now,
> we can just tweak the UI so that, when the imap client-side driver is
> used, we only offer "Contains" (and maybe "Doesn't Contain") as a rule.
> In the future we should, if at all possible, write some sort of sieve
> script->IMAP conversion utility so that we can use this (sounds like i'm
> volunteering - ugh).

Very shortly I need to get Ingo working with procmail here.  (There have
been other unanswered requests for this on the ingo list over the
months, so I hope other will find this useful.)

I was planning to (a) add "whitelist" to match "blacklist" in Ingo, (b)
write a procmail script generator, (c) write some kind of backend (either
that will FTP the script, or create some kind of server similar to
timsieved), and then (d) try to get it to work with Horde+IMP RELENG at
some level (what we're running here); either an Ingo RELENG_1, or a patch
(if the changes are simple).

I would love to defer (a) and/or (d) to you if you want to do them.  :-)
I think I can safely focus on (b) and (c) without getting in your way.
Initially all I need here is the simple whitelist/blacklist, with
integration into IMP.  The rules part can come later.

> i'll stop babbling now.  I hope I'm not breaking anything.  Until I get
> to understand ingo more, I will try to commit in small chunks to
> increase peer review and ease of fixing if i go awry :)

I have been taking the same approach for the same reasons.  I guess we
need Mike to chime in with his thoughts on where we're thinking of taking
his app.  ;-)

--
Brent J. Nordquist <bjn at horde.org> N0BJN
Other contact information: http://www.nordist.net/contact.html