[ingo] * $^To:.* in Vacation Procmail Script

NM Public agorae+--ingo at nm.deflexion.com
Fri Jan 13 02:03:33 PST 2006

Sur 2006-01-11, Norbert Kottmann skribis:

> I am wondering why the procmail script of the vacation filter uses
> the rule:
>
> * $^To:.*address at domain.tld
>
> instead of:
>
> * $^To: address at domain.tld
>
> We had some problems with users which have two e-mail addresses with
> the same ending:
>
> i.e. "firstname.lastname at domain.tld" and "lastname at domain.tld"
>
> The users activated their vacation rule with both adresses (as it
> should be) and ingo writes two procmail rules for each e-mail address.
>
> The result is, that e-mails to the "firstname.lastname at domain.tld"
> address are answered with two vacation messages because both rules "*
> $^To:.*lastname at domain.tld" and "*
> $^To:.*firstname.lastname at domain.tld" are matching.

This is a common Procmail problem and I discuss it on my Procmail
Quick Start in this section:

  <http://www.ii.com/internet/robots/procmail/qs/#RCPTexample>

The relevant part is bullet 2 in the Tips of that section. A
Procmail condition like this should solve the problem:

  * ^To:(.*\<)?address at domain.tld

Hope this helps,
  Nancy

--
  Nancy McGough ~ <http://www.ii.com> ~ <http://deflexion.com>
    IMAP, pine, procmail, data deflexion, infinity, and more