[ingo] ssh2 vfs backend not working

Cliff Green green at umdnj.edu
Tue Oct 24 08:25:19 PDT 2006

Volker Then wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm trying to use the SSH2 vfs backend to upload the generated procmail
> script. The SSH PECL module has been successfully installed, test.php
> gives no errors.
>
> Activating the script just gives: "Authentication to SSH2 server
> failed.", but authentication against Horde or SSH work with the same
> user credentials.

Then it would seem your backends.php file (for ingo) is not adequately
configured.

Presumably, you have settings like the following (or something similar)
in your backends.php file (in whatever $backends['procmail'] array you
define):

'driver' => 'vfs',
'hordeauth' => true,
'params' => array(
   'hostspec' => <this needs to point to your ssh server>,
   'procmailrc' => '.procmailrc',
   'port' => 22,
   'vfstype' => 'ssh2'
),
etc., etc.,etc.

NB:  the ssh server referred to above (as 'hostspec') is presumed to be
the same as your imp server, assuming you use imp to authenticate to
horde.  I've set and used a variable (call it $host), which I've set as
$_SESSION['imp']['server'], but more recently I've had trouble with
that, as that session var doesn't seem to be available to ingo.  If you
only have one host, then you can hardcode it into backends.php;  we have
several hosts, selected from the dropdown menu at login, so I needed a
way of dynamically setting it after login.

We have since migrated most of our accounts from campus hosts using UW's
imapd and procmail to a cluster using another imap server and Sieve, so
I've pretty much stopped trying to make it work for me.  However, I'd be
happy to try and answer any further questions you may have.  If you come
up with a better way of doing this, you should contribute it on the wiki.

Cliff Green
BST/IST
UMDNJ