[ingo] from issue, procmail issue

Jason Keltz jas at cse.yorku.ca
Fri Oct 17 19:20:23 UTC 2008

On 10/17/08 11:12, Jason Keltz wrote:
> I'm moving a whole bunch of our users onto Ingo, so I guess that I'm
> bound to run into a few issues.
>
> One issue is that users who are used to filtering based on "From" (and
> not From:") in procmail are trying to filter using the "From:" header as
> if it were "From".  I guess it's not an INGO "problem" per se.  For
> example, they use rules like "From:" starts with "user at domain.com".  The
> problem, of course, is that From: first contains a full name like this:
>
> From: John Smith <user at domain.com>
>
> ... so it doesn't match.  I tried adding a "custom" header based on just
> "From" since the messages have a header "From user at domain.com", but that
> didn't work.  I know they can use regular expressions, of course, but I
> wonder why the "From" header without the ":" isn't listed in the list of
> possible headers.  This way, users could use the easier filter rule
> rather than always using a regular expression.  I tried adding "From" as
> another header, but INGO automatically adds a ":" after it.

My mistake.  You can use "From" "Contains" instead of "Begins With".

> Secondly, one of our staff created a whole bunch of rules to save
> messages from individuals into folders, and also to keep a copy in her
> inbox using Ingo's "save a copy in my inbox and redirect to" type rule.
>  She did this with her own mail as well creating a rule that looks like
> this (since procmail is our backend):
>
> ##### me #####
> :0
> * ^From: me
> {
>   :0 c
>   ! me
>
>   :0
>   $DEFAULT
> }
>
> Procmail goes into a loop and delivers 13 copies of the message to
> herself.  I'm not certain that I understand it  I guess this is because
> procmail is somehow reprocessing the message after it has been delivered
> to her inbox?  I'd just like to understand whether this is a bug or a
> feature.  I can imagine that users might like to save a copy of their
> own messages in their inbox (even though it's already in their sent mail
> folder).

My misunderstanding -- "save a copy in inbox and redirect to" does a CC:
to the address specified.  In order to receive into the inbox AND into a
folder, you create a rule to move the message into a folder, and check
the box that says that it should not stop processing.  Now you get the
message in your inbox and your folder.

Both my errors.

Jason.